Royal Thames Boat Trip for Katherine
and John, 30 June 2012, and Walk for
Katherine and John 2012: the Historic City of Winchester, Saturday August 2012, final date tbc
Two summer 2012 events: Walk, and Royal Thames Boat Trip, for Katherine and John
we had planned to visit Winchester for our Walk for Katherine and John. However, some of the key places we wished to visit
were not be open and Kettlethorpe village fete was being held on 23 June, which is the nearest Saturday to the feast of the
Nativity of St John the Baptist.We therefore planned two events:
- A Thames boat trip for Katherine and John
on Saturday, 30 June, which went ahead;
- Walk for Katherine and John in Winchester, on a Saturday in August
to be confirmed - this again had to be postponed because of the illness of the Society member who was organising it and lives
Boat trip for Katherine and John
We met at 11 AM at Charing Cross Pier
(very close to the site of the Savoy Palace) where we will board a Thames Clipper to travel along the Thames to Greenwich
Pier. On the way we passed:
- the site of the Savoy Palace;
- the site John Beaufort's house;
- near Winchester Palace London residence of Henry Beaufort and the site of Joan Beaufort's wedding feast
when she married James I Scotland;
- Southwark Cathedral (formerly Southwark Priory) burial place of the poet
and friend of Chaucer John Gower;
- the site of the old London Bridge;
- Billingsgate fish
- the Tower of London where Robert Hales, the Lord Prior of the Knights Hospitallers of England and
Lord High Treasurer of England was beheaded for being responsible for the poll tax during the peasants revolt 1381;
Katharine's Hospital where John Beaufort died and where his body was put on a boat to travel down the Thames en route
for burial in Canterbury Cathedral.
Greenwich in mediaeval times was the site of a Royal Palace
or hunting lodge - the estate is now one of the Royal Parks of London. It is where Henry IV apparently signed his will. Henry
V gave the Manor to Thomas Beaufort, Duke of Exeter - he died here in 1417. The Palace at Greenwich was built at the instigation
of Humphrey of Lancaster, Duke of Gloucester and Earl of Pembroke who was the youngest son, by Mary de Bohun, of Henry IV.
Humphrey gave the edifice the name Bella Court. It was named Palace of Placentia by Margaret of Anjou, wife of Henry VI when
she took it over following Humphrey's fall from grace.
Humphrey's first wife was Jacqueline, Countess of
Hainaut and Holland. The marriage was annulled and he married his mistress Eleanor Cobham. She was subsequently imprisoned
for treasonable necromancy, eventually dying at Beaumaris Castle on the Isle of Anglesey, where the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
currently live. Humphrey was arrested for treason and died at Bury St Edmunds three days after his arrest allegedly from poisoning,
but possibly from a stroke. He was buried in St Albans Abbey were both Blanche of Lancaster and John of Gaunt's funeral
processions stopped en route to London.
Duke Humphrey's Tower was demolished and in its place the Royal Observatory,
which is still there of course, was constructed.
If you want
to follow the route, start at Embankment Pier (Embankment or Charing Cross underground stations).
Book a River Rover ticket (as of summer 2012 the cost is £13.60, this ticket gives flexibility as to which boat you
The Royal River exhibition is now closed. You can
find details about visiting the museums which are on the site of Thomas Beaufort's erstwhile home here:
Walk for Katherine and John, (postponed due to ill health of organiser):
In 2012, our annual Walk for Katherine and John was to take place in
the City of Winchester. Katherine and John's second son, Henry Beaufort, was Bishop of the Diocese of Winchester. His
tomb is in Winchester Cathedral.
Once the Society member has recovered, we may be able to reschedule
the walk, the provisional plan is to visit the following:
- Winchester Cathedral - as well
as the tomb of Henry Beaufort, the famous novelist Jane Austen is buried here, St Swithan was buried here - he is most famous
for the legend that if it rains on 15th July (his Saint's Day) then it will rain for 40 days and 40 nights - his tomb
was sadly destroyed, and Izaak Walton who wrote the Complete Angler is buried in the Chapel of St John the Evangelist.
- Winchester Castle - home to the famous item of furniture known as King Arthur's Round Table:
- Winchester College, founded in 1382 by Henry Beaufort's predecessor as Bishop of Winchester, William Wykeham:
- We had thought of possibly going to the Hospital of St Cross, which was founded in 1130 by William of Blois, then
put under the care of Knights of St John, and expanded by Cardinal Henry Beaufort, however we don't think there will be
enough time to do this if we spend an adequate amount of time at the above, and it is further away from the other sites:
Enter supporting content here